Are you planning to travel to Indonesia? Great choice, but let’s know some interesting tips before going there. Here are the most important, which will help.
- In Indonesia, you need to bargain everything! For example for 10 magnets they will ask 300 000 IDR (21 EUR), but you can get them for 40 000 IDR (3 EUR). What a difference! It helps when you say you are a student, or you bought the same thing yesterday in next shop for 35 000 IDR, or you show them the money you want to spend for certain thing and you will not spend more -> this was most efficient for me! During traveling in Asia, you will find many ways how to bargain
- You need to pay 35 USD (on internet it was 25 USD, but they changed it during 2014) for 30 days visa in Indonesia. Get the certain amount before entering the country. Again you need to pay 200 000 IDR when leaving Indonesia (on internet you might find an old information: 100 000 IDR)
- Withdraw limit for ATMs in Indonesia is usually 1 2000 000 IDR/80 EUR. You will always become a millionaire after withdrawing money from ATM! 🙂
- The best time to travel is in April – May and in October – November. This is low season with fewer tourists. It can rain occasionally, mostly in the evenings
- Prefer to eat in Warungs (local restaurants), or buy a food on the street. Always eat where locals eat, not in restaurants for tourists. It is 2 -3 times cheaper, more delicious, and you will not get sick. Have also in mind that in Indonesia most of the restaurants do not have refrigerators, eat where many people are. Eggs and meat on the sun will not get spoiled
- Traffic is crazy, there are no rules! Be careful when driving a car or motorbike
- Hot water is luxury! Only better hotels have hot water for showering. As in Indonesia there are never less than 30 degrees, for locals it does not make sense to shower with hot water, and of course, it is too expensive
- How to find accommodation if you have not arranged it before? Locals wait for tourists close to terminals, harbors and bus stations. You will be offered rooms; you can have a look and decide. The cheapest accommodation we had was for 150 000 IDR/night/room (around 10 EUR). Be aware that during high season (July – August) capacity of accommodation can be lower
- Buy local spray with lavender against mosquitoes during night, and use it in the room 15 minutes before sleeping -> however, you need to leave the room during that time. Afterwards, you do not need to be afraid of insects and cockroaches
- White skin attracts locals mostly in rural places of Indonesia. Everybody wants to make photo with you – you are like a celebrity. However, in more touristy places, you will be attracted by locals when they will try to sell you stuff – don’t forget about it & read again the tip #1! 🙂
Have you been to Indonesia? What are your travel tips for Indonesia? Share your experience with us!