Visiting Gili islands is a MUST because of wonderful beaches and unique underwater world. During my travels around Bali I booked a boat ticket Bali – Lembongan – Gili islands – Lombok – Bali. And I did a good choice! Read why.
My travel tips about Gili islands in Indonesia
- No cars, no traffic. Only bikes, horses and walking around islands is allowed
- Gilis are 3 islands: Gili Trawangan (the biggest one and the most crowded), Gili Meno (the most quiet) and Gili Air (something between them)
- Gili Trawangan is the most touristy place from Gili islands. The most crowded part is around the harbor. The opposite side of Gili Trawangan is quite, go there to see a romantic sunset
- Gili Trawangan does have many parties, but during low season in November there was no party! 🙂
- You can get offered a drug called Ticket to the Moon, the mushroom. Be aware that in Indonesia there is a death penalty for drugs
- There is crystal water and beautiful beach, water is deep after few meters
- Gilis are Muslim part of Indonesia, despite it is close to Bali & Lembongan, where there is Balinese Hinduism. Wear something on your bikini when leaving the beach to respect their religion
- Gili islands are the most expensive part of Indonesia! You can pay for lunch 100 000 IDR /6,5 EUR, fresh juice: 15 000 – 20 000 IDR/1 – 1,5 EUR (on neighbor island, Lombok, you will pay half of it). There are some Warung (local restaurants in Indonesia), but on Gilis are mostly restaurants for tourists, where you pay more, for example: 30 000 IDR for dinner/2 EUR. In average, prices are 100% higher comparing to Java, Bali or Lombok
- Locals work hard in the harbor, women are carrying hard things (for example: cement) on their heads when boats coming from Lombok. The construction on Gili islands is expanding.
What to do on Gili islands during 2 days:
- Walk around the island, it would take 2 up to 3 hours
- Rent a bike! You can go around the island within 1 hour
- Most of tourists are spending time on Gili Trawangan, but have look to other islands: Gili Meno and Gili Air. Between islands there is a local boat available. The boat goes to each island in the morning and coming back in the afternoon, it means you can visit 1 island per day (Gili Meno or Gili Air)
- Go snorkeling or diving! All around the island you will be offered to go snorkeling for 120 000 IDR/8 EUR. It includes 4 hours trip with 3 stops for snorkeling + lunch on Gili Air, what a deal! It was great experience with the most beautiful underwater world I have seen!
- Relax, do not do anything 🙂 Gilis islands are perfect place to slow down and relax during your travels in Indonesia, enjoy!
What do you think about paradise called Gillis?
Have you been there or in similar place? Share your experience in comments!