In this post I will introduce you the hidden island of Indonesia – Lembongan. Lembongan is one of the 17 508 islands of the biggest Muslim country in the world.
Nusa Lembongan (Nusa means “island” in Indonesian language) is a small island connected with Nusa Ceningan located few miles/kilometers from Bali. Both are worth to visit, they are less hectic and touristy than the neighbor island Bali.
Before traveling to Indonesia, I had never heard about the island Lembongan. However, during my travels around Bali other travelers recommended it. I planned to travel 1 week in islands east part of Bali.
I booked a boat ticket from Bali – Lembongan – Gili islands – Lombok – Bali. And I did a great choice!
Interesting facts and my travel tips about Nusa Lembongan & Nusa Ceningan
- There is no police; you can drive on motorbike without any limitations. BUT be careful about terrible roads like this:
- The locals are poor, daily earnings in Indonesia is around 52 000 IDR (3,5 EUR; 15 000=1 EUR), but they are less worried about the future and much happier. They are friendly and smiley (of course, if you are tourist, they want to get as much money as possible, but in general you will have a positive experience)
- Many locals work on kelp farms, and they dry them in from of their cottages. Most of kelp are sent to Japan and used for cosmetics
- The prices on Lembongan are little bit higher than on Bali, for example renting a motorbike with oil is 70 000 IDR/per day (5 EUR). In Bali you can rent a motorbike for 40 000 IDR/per day (3 EUR) + full tank is around 15 000 IDR (1 EUR)
- Lembongan does have Balinese Hinduism, same as Bali. This is different from other parts of Indonesia, as this is the biggest Muslim country in the world
- You can get from Bali to Lembongan by boat which takes around 30 minutes. I bought the boat ticket Bali – Lembongan – Gili islands – Lombok – Bali for 900 000 IDR/60 EUR with open days, so I could manage my travels
How to travel around the Lembongan in 1 day
- Start with a breakfast: Watermelon fresh with Asian omelet and swim a while in the sea
- Go to north part of the island to mangrove forest. Be aware of that terrible road! On the way back we passed Empu Aji Temple, the Balinese temple
- North part of island is full of kelp farms with cottages. This is one of my favorite part of Lembongan -> peaceful, quite and for the possibility to take many colorful photos
- Going into center of the island Lembongan, the Jungubatu village, it is getting greener and even more quite, really we did not meet anybody!
- Passing the bridge from Nusa Lembongan to Nusa Ceningan is a real dream
- Ceningan island does have a Dream Point with rocky beach (difficult to access), however the view is stunning!
- Coming back to Lembongan to its South and seeing Mushroom Bay next to Dream Beach. We swam in the ocean, (be careful about the big waves, it can be dangerous), it is lot of fun! On the top of rocks the amazing show ends the day. Many locals come to watch the power of ocean
- On the way back we got lost due to lack of lights on the streets, but with help of locals we drove back to the port and ate an amazing dinner
What to see/do on Lembongan, if you have more than 1 day:
- Diving with Manta rays
- To visit Sunset beach for the best sunset on the island
- Tour in Mangrove forest
- Relaxing with the view to ocean
Have you visited Indonesia? What recommendations do you have?
If not, is this country on your bucket list?
Share your experience and thoughts with us!